Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Make a drill bit case

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
I have a lot of drill bits. Mostly, they are all over my workbench and I always have a difficult time finding the one I need. I have several cases and containers: the ones that came with various bit sets, but they are mostly empty. After years of drill bit madness, I realize that the reason they are so disorganized is that the cases and holders demand too much organization.

They are flawed because they require me to replace bits into specific holes depending on their diameter. Too much pressure!

I designed this case to hold drill bits based on their general sizes. There is no need for organizational madness.

Wont they get dull this way? While I wouldnt store router bits like this, I dont think it dulls drill bits much. Plus, I dont plan on shaking them around for extended periods. Ive been sloppy with drill bit storage for years and can confirm that even the ones I have abused the most still make holes. Not to mention, I dont buy expensive drill bits. If one gets too dull, I will buy a new one.

The only part of this box I am not completely satisfied with is the latch. I just hobbled together various hooks and eyes from my parts drawers. It works, but isnt very pretty. But it is just a shop project. Not like anyone other than me will ever see it. I did add some fancy inlay which was quite unplanned.

Free plans:

  • WWMM Drill bit case (pdf)
  • Sketchup file




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment